Friday, October 22, 2010

Meet Joe Black (House Spider)


Delaqroux inc Updates
Before you start reading this blogpost, i would like to offer some word of warning that, for some, this blogpost might turn you into an instant paranoid, especially if you're living in houses around Australia - even more if you're arachnidphobic (i think that's what you call them). More specifically, i will be talking about Agent Joe Black, a unit of 'men' in blacks who might be closer than you think. For the uninitiated, i'm talking about Black house spiders.

Now, i live in a garage-bedroom. Technically, my room is made from a garage. Hence, it does look... well... tool-shed-ish to some extent. I moved in here since last end-autumn and has been living in here throughout winter. Yes, it was indeed cold and i am too much of a greenie to be using a heater in my room. Yet, life was blissful. At least, until spring returns and the place turns warmer. Since a few weeks back, i have been encountering several spiders in my room. I did notice them around the house, especially by the window sills in the kitchen, but never really in my room. I suppose they just came out of hibernation or something that they seem to wander around the house for a nesting place. I guess the winters chill had them dormant that they were out of sight.

I am quite a spider-lover. I think some spiders are exotic-looking. So, the first time i encountered a Joe Black, i was like "awww... where did you come from?", took out my hand for it to crawl on, and gently, carry them out of the house into some bush for it to go back into the wild. But til recently, i had to kill one. I was in my bed when the spider was literally next to my face, on the pillow. It freaked me out and i killed it almost on impulse. I felt bad for it but eventually, i realized another one on the ceiling a week after. And another one crawling on the floor. Then another next to the door. That was when it struck me. My room is infested with these guys. Yet again, i'm not sure what kind of spider they were and i figured that they might just be common house spiders (like the ones in malaysia - only twice the size). However, watching some documentary on poisonouse spiders in Australia, i figured i might just check what kind of spider are those in my room.

It turned out that these guys are Black House spiders and they're venomous. Holy shit.


They're about 2.5 cm long and they're black. The bad news is that these type of spider are, as their name implies, commonly found inside houses and distinguishable by their messy web. The good news is that it is somewhat big for a spider that you're bound to notice it (wait... is that also part of the bad news?) and also, their not as aggressive as some other type of spiders. Often, they will just flee when they see you, not try to defend themselves (which is good). Fortunately, God also made these critters non-lethal. A bite from these Joe Blacks will just send you in a state of pain, muscle-numbness or aching, nausea or giddiness, profuse sweating, excessive salivating etc. - luckily, not death. Their poison wont kill you and there's an antivenom for these guys' bite available in hospitals. Just be sure to take teh right measures when bitten and get an ambulance straight away.

I bet none of my Malaysian friends in Sydney are aware of this and the right measure they should take if bitten. I did a lil research on my own and i figured i should share it with you. Simply, apply bandages firmly (not tightly) on the limb where victim is bitten to slow down the spreading of the venom. Call the ambulance instead of taking the victim to the hospital (if you dont know, the number to call is 000, not 999 or 911). Also, if possible, try to catch the spider (preferably dead in one piece) to have the medic identify what kind of spider that bit you (so they can work out the suitable antivenom). Finally, dont stay in a garage-bedroom.

Delaqroux Out.

No comments: