Sunday, April 19, 2009

Melbourne Ep.2: TASMANIA HAWTNESS & "TAKE YOUR TIME"

Delaqroux Inc Update on
The (mel)Bourne Supremacy Ep.2!!

So, yeah, there was that Malay family who pissed me off alright. But imma not gonna let that ruin my day. So after i walked away from them and off further and further away from Harbour City, i realized, i have no idea where i should be going next. So, it's back to hunting those little stars scattered all over the map then. The closest one would be at the stadium and yeah, considering the size of that dome, i thought i might as well give it a look.

By the time i reached there, the whole place was freaking full with people. Plus, all of them wore two different sets of jerseys. One was yellow and black while the other, blue and white (Yeah, like, contrasting colors.. phew). So yep, there was a match going on and finally, i decided that before i move on to the next scenic spot, maybe i should at least ask someone on which team is fighting which. So i pretended to look over some team merchantdise and the one who was closest to where i stood, shall by my information counter. Thus, there was this family guy and i asked him as planned. He gladly told me: "Oawh, we 'ave the Tasmanian Hawthorns (i finally figured that it was "hawthorns" after looking at the hawk logos on the t-shirt. It sounded at first as if the guy was saying "Tasmanian Hawtness".. sorry, i'm still kinda coping up with aussie accent) uhgainst the Mazduh Kang'roo ere todai. As y'can see ere mate, i'm all up rootin' for the Hawthorns. See no jersai you have on. You ere for the match?" So i said, nope, i'm not and i told him that i'm still new in Australian and to all its sport frenzies. And i swear to God the guy told me "Awww, well, it's not too laite (late) to start learn'n somethin' new todai. You ave som free time to spare?" I nodded. "How 'bout you get this ere jersey (shows Tasmanian jersey), and i'll buy you a ticket fer you to get insoide- all on me!" So yeah, i was like, whoa... wh-what?? The guy insisted that he wants to buy me a free ticket as long as i start my first journey into the world of football by being a Tasmania Hawthorns fan. I was this close to making a deal with the guy but then i saw that the game will only start at 1.30pm and probably going to end at 4.30pm. By that time, Risa will be back from Lacrosse and i would probably get no Melbourne sight seeing done at all. Hence, i turned that golden oppoturnity off (shoot me for i broke my "Yes Man" resolution... sigh) Thus, my journey continues!

p/s: Note how nice Aussies can be and how friggin rude the Malaysian family was? pfft...

So i went sight seeing all over and yeah, Melbourne city is awesome! Most of the buildings are new but there are always a building with a Gothic architecture on every corner. And aside to that, there are plenty of things on the sidewalk to see too like Street perfomers, Royal Carriage passing by, Classic looking tram cars etc. etc. Before i knew it, i reached Melbourne Town Hall and yeah, that place was full of people too. Curious, i went in and had a peek. It was the International comedy fest and there was like over 30 shows on just for today, some in the Town Hall, others scattered all throughout the city. As a matter of fact, even Pablo Fransisco will be on tonight at 10pm! Yeah, kind of make me regret that i'm not staying here for the day. But then again, there was some Harry Potter parody and the sound of it was interesting. The gazzete commentary reads, "All 7 Harry Potter books in 1 hour and hysterically pulled off! 4 STARS!" Sounds good enough for me. Looking at the time, the show will just take an hour so yep, its not gonna eat so much of my time. I might as well get a ticket and see the show and so i did! The show didnt start immediately and thus i have tour around the vicinity first. One of those stars lead me to Chinatown in Melbourne City! Yep, it really had that Asian feeling to it and not to mention, Malaysian too. Before i even realize it, i found myself at a Chendol Restaurant (Whoo-hoo! Chendol! OM NOM NOM NOM!), a Chinese food shop that says Sambal Kampung (Sambal Kampung! OM NOM NOM NOM!), an Indonesian stall that serves nice hot Nasi Lemak (Nasi Lemak! OM NOM NOM NOM!) and finally... Oldtown... White Coffee... Yeah, there was an Oldtown White Coffee outlet. By that time, i was overwhelmed by emotions. Tried to wash it off by thinking, nah, it's probably just an unofficial copy of the brand or maybe, some outlet with coincidentally with the memorable Oldtown i know back in Malaysia. But alas, i brought myself in just to be sure. Effing hell! IT IS OLDTOWN!! The menus are almost the same! There's Oldtown Nasi Lemak, there's Adam's Nasi Rendang and Hot Cocoa, there's Jessica's... uh... what did she use to order again (oldtown memorably i think)? Well, the point is: it's the same effing OLDTOWN!! I still refuse to believe it but my soul was already pierced from all sides by emotions. No, not the teary ones; that's obnoxious. It's the "I-miss-those-moments" ones. Finally, i found myself ordering Oldtown Ice blended white coffee, partially to prove that it cant be the same white coffee i used to have, but the other intention was just to have a taste of that moment again. Yeah.. unfortunately (fortunately) it was the same taste of white coffee.. but the taste of the moment wasnt as sweet as i remembered it. There's no one around me that i know of. All those that shared the same Oldtown moment are all miles away from me. I miss them all. Seeing me sulking around the coffee, one of the waiter asked me "is there anything else, sir?". "Nah, it's okay. I'm good. Just remembering back good times" I replied. I thought the guy my be thinking "eeeeemooooooo" but regardless, he just said "Oh okay, take your time"

I said that to everyone I was with back in Oldtown, Malaysia. So, i smiled back and look at the reflection of myself in the windows. I used to said that to the company i'm having when i was in Oldtown back then, i thought. So, yeah, "take your time..."

2 comments:

FeLiciap7 said...

I have heard about how malaysianised melbourne could be.. but old town? man... that's plain awesomeness~

Good on you to be able to travel around ;)

Anonymous said...

k, i'm so going over to melbourne!
already gonna tell my uncle that i'm taking up his offer!