Monday, May 18, 2009

"Let there be randomness"

Delaqroux Inc Updates!

It's funny how we always think that life is predictable. Well, i mean, it does get predictable at times. Take Dr. William's EDUC260 class: knock on table, stand on your feet, high-5 your partner, and 1-2-3 WOOSH. But that's not the point there. It's just fascinating how you think you know how orderly your daily life will be, and suddenly something small take a tiny bit of twist, and your whole big lot of life's perspective is tweaked in a very gigantic manner.

See, it happened on my random trip to Macquarie centre. I wasnt intending to go to MacQ Centre at all until i heard that Farouk and co. wanted to get some groceries. THat was when i remembered that i wanted to ask about upgrading my handset. While i wasnt planning to do that, fearing that 3 (a phone company in Aussie) will dissapoint me once again, i did tagged along and proceed to the nearest 3 outlet. Sure enough, 3 dissapointed me once again. Turned out that the so-called 'upgrading' was merely an euphemistic term for "buying a new phone and a whole postpaid plan altogether". The old wound about my old crappy handset i got three months ago was once again, wide open. Well, the handset i got had its memory card reader faulty and it pisses me off the fact that the 3 staffs refuse to repair it, blaming on my memory card instead. So, i sat down outside the 3 outlet and gave the technical support a call. I did that three months ago and it yielded no result but i was thinking of calling a 3 staff member so i can yell at him/her. At least that'll get rid some anger out of me.

So, yeah, i was pissed. And sure enough, the crappy 3 technical stuff gave me the same "oh no sarr (indian accent), it iz very pohsibble that your memory cahrd is foulty (faulty), not de phoone. That is aoll i can tell you. Now, take it and go (well he didnt say that last line but according to Russell Peters, that's how an Indian convincing you stuff; "take it and go")" So, i got mad but it's just something that stops me from bursting out. That something was what we call a transfer call line. Hell yeah! They keep on passing my call to like, 5 different lines! First, it was the careline, then the support unit, then the technical team, and then the careline again and then the technical team once again! I couldnt even blow my lid off. I mean, it will be weird if i'm to suddenly just explode in front of a new line where the 3 staffs havent hardly start any conversation with me. But in all, the call took an hour! And when the guy go "thank you, call again", i put down teh phone and i didnt get to yell at nobody. I was super friggin pissed off!! I stormed my way out of MacQ Centre with such evil thoughts like, i want to kidnap a 3 staff and put him in a SAW V like game where he have to answer 1000 phone complains or otherwise a bomb planted in his head will blow up.

But just as i was going up the escalator, i heard some rattling sound in front of me. It sounded like little beads dropping on the floor. Sure enough, it was little beads. It belonged to this old guy in front of me and all those beads came from his bracelet which snapped off coincidentally. To make things worse, his bracelet came off at the escalator, so yeah, all those beads are, for sure, scattered beyond taking - what's more with all the people using the escalator. So, me, in a bad mood just went off like everybody else. I mean, i doubt that old man will even bother to try fetch back all those little beads on the escalator so yeah, no use stopping. That was when i heard that loud shrill sound in my head again (yeah, i can hear it when i feel guilty or did something bad.. figuratively or literally? Well, you decide) and thoughts like, what if the bracelet belonged to the old man's children or someone's memento to him? I mean, i lost my wristband and i was upset about it, what's more a bracelet given by someone special perhaps?

That was when i doubled back and saw that the old man was trying to pick up those beads. The escalator was going up so all the beads are lined up in front of the edge of the escalator (i dunno if i'm making any effective imageries here) but with all the people taking off from the escalator, the old guy was having a hard time. So i gave the old guy a hand. And seriously, i dunno if Aussies are so freaking tall that they cant see me at the end of the escalator or they just ramming me for the fun of it. I mean, seriously, while i was trying to fetch those beads, all the other ppl pretended as if i wasnt there at all. But, while i was squatting down to fetch the beads (with some handbags slamming to my face) i realized something, the old man who was behind me gave me a lil pat on the head. Um.. i know it may not sound any special to you (or it may sound awkward to some) but my dad never pat my head so yeah, i love people touching my head (yeah, i'm weird, i know) and this guy is giving me a lil pat as if i am his son, doing something really really good for his dad. I dunno why but all those thoughts about being pissed off with 3 staff members and the people at MacQ centre just went off. It is as if the old man's hand sucked all those evil thoughts out of my brain when his hand touched my head.

Finally, i finished picking up all those beads and the old man was able to point at me and say "good" (I think he's somewhere from the Middle East so i doubt he can speak English) and i just smiled and went off. That explains him patting my head. I guess he couldnt come up with anything to thank me while i wasnt looking at him so a pat was the best he could do. True story; my whole body feels anger-free at that moment. It feels so fresh. I passed by a 3 outlet along the way out and all i can think of is "nah, maybe i dont need any phone upgrades just yet" and went off, skipping happily. It's weird but one thing for sure, it felt friggin good. And on my way back to uni, guess who called me but Muhammad!! (uh.. no, not that Muhammad (s.a.w).. it's just a Muslim friend of mine). I mean, seriously, that was totally out of nowhere and he invited me to an African cultural celebration next week. Seriously, what are the odds of me running to him and him remembering me, as well as him inviting me to his people's cultural celebration. So yeah, it was awesome. Oh, and he told me that he just got to where he is at that moment. And that made me think of all the random encounters i had today.

So yeah, all the randomness of today was actually flowing nicely and occured for a reason;
If i hadnt been to Macquarie Centre, i wouldnt have faced the dissapointment of 3's empty promises
If i hadnt faced the dissapointment of 3's empty promises again, i wouldnt have made my phone call to yell at some 3 staffs
If i hadnt made the phone call to yell at some 3 staffs, i wouldnt have get my phone call dragged for an hour
If i hadnt get my phone call dragged for an hour, i wouldnt have been at the escalator when the old man's bracelet snapped off.
If i hadnt been at the escalator when the old man's bracelet snapped off, i wouldnt have stopped and help the old man
If i hadnt stopped and help the old man, i wouldnt have been at that spot where i encountered Muhammad at that right time.
If i hadnt be on that spot right at that moment, i would never be meeting Muhammad.
If i hadnt met Muhammad, i would never get that invitation to that African cultural event!

So yeah, it all started out with me going to macQ centre for totally random reason; i want to ask about a phone upgrade though i know the answer wont be what i wanted. No, it started way back then that; maybe it started all the way when i decided not to skip Learning support and be at Cheryl's class, or otherwise i wont even be around MacQ uni and MacQ Centre. Or maybe the night before when i posted a blogpost about life's meaninglessness. Mayhaps, if i hadnt post that blogpost up, i would have never made this blogpost today? In any case, yeah, i think better stop here before it goes all the way back to 1989 when i was born. But obviously, it's funny how random occurence makes my faith on the purposeness of my existence grow stronger. Of course, it can be funny too how random events can make me feel worthless to live. But hey, it all started out of nothing at all. Out of randomness. So yeah, maybe life isnt so predictable, life is random, and random is good? =)

That was when God realized that He created the world too orderly, and thus, He said, ": Let there be randomness" - and so, it was good...
(Delaqroux Book of Quotes, 2007)

1 comment:

Blue8ple said...

hey.. It's good to see that how you have turned something bad into a good experience.. =) Sometimes when I'm in a bad mood, I'm more eager to help people.. Or cook something for people.. It just makes me happy to see others happy.. =)and I admire your courage to help the old man.. Hope to catch up with you in Sydney soon!!